Rethink Charity is a rapidly growing Effective Altruism organization that uses evidence and reason to find innovative ways to do good. Our projects range in focus to include movement building, research, community outreach and fundraising for effective charities. Things have been moving fast in 2018! We have expanded our team significantly and we have ambitious growth plans underway for 2019.
80,000 Hours states that operations management is one of the biggest bottlenecks in Effective Altruism. One of the main reasons for this is that operations workers act as organizational multipliers – they enable other staff members to maximize productivity by ensuring the back-end functions of the organizations are taken care of. With this in mind, we are looking for an enthusiastic, creative team player to come onboard with Rethink Charity.
As a member of the operations team you will work closely with the directors and managers of each of our projects to ensure success, gaining a wide variety of diversified skills along the way. You will be given a large amount of autonomy and responsibility on a daily basis and will play a crucial role in shaping the success of our organization. You will be surrounded daily by dedicated, energized and passionate EAs from around the world working collaboratively to do good better!
This is a full-time entry-level position and you will work closely with the Manager of Operations to maintain and improve functional systems for Rethink Charity. We are willing to train fresh talent in this role, and we aim to nourish the skills needed to advance to a full-time managerial role in the future.
- Manage day-to-day operations for staff, donors, and the organization
- Draft contracts and editing legal agreements for new hires, volunteers and partnerships
- Organizing and keeping track of employee Human Resource items (tax forms, time off requests, etc)
- Post organizational blogs and updating edits on all of our affiliated websites
- Assist in payroll processing
- Assist in budget monitoring and financial projection/runway analysis on a monthly basis
- Act as an organizational liaison to skilled professionals to fulfil accounting, legal, taxation and compliance requirements in ordnance with Canadian and US charitable registrations
- Complete operational research to improve and optimize organizational processes
- Variable and flexible tasks, which may include communications, education (SHIC), research, personal assistance and everything in between.
- Understanding of Effective Altruism concepts
- Experience working with Google Docs/Sheets and Excel
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Financial literacy
- Ability to digest legal language
- An understanding and willingness to learn about accounting systems (ie, Quickbooks)
- Familiarity with organizational platforms, like Asana and MailChimp
- Previous experience (paid or volunteer) in an administrative or operational role
- Experience optimizing organizational systems
- Willingness to engage in professional development
- Previous experience (paid or volunteer) in an EA organization
- Previous public speaking or education experience
Location and Salary
Most of our team is based in Vancouver, Canada, but remote work options can be arranged for the right candidate. Relocation and visa sponsorship may be provided to international hires after a probationary paid remote trial.
Salary is commensurate with experience and need.
How do I Apply?
Please fill out an initial application here. Applications will be open until October 26th, 2018. Successful applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis, so apply now!
Successful applicants must be able to start work by early November.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are happy to make any reasonable accommodations necessary to welcome all to our workplace. Please contact us to discuss adjustments to the application process.