Donor Briefing: 03/2018
Lots of exciting developments in this pacey edition of the Briefing. Thanks for staying up-to-date with us.
Two-sentence RC breakdown – We’ve announced the addition of a new research project to RC – Rethink Priorities (RP), dedicated to doing neglected foundational research on potential causes in a highly empirical and transparent manner. LEAN wrapped up their impact assessment, SHIC received full funding for 2018, and the annual EA survey preparations have begun.
Your full RC Briefing
Read time: 4 minutes
Rethink Charity Overview
– RC is moving forward with our growth-oriented plans across all projects. More on what this means for each project below. We’re also hiring for the 2018 EA survey, and most of the heavy lifting on that will begin this week. See our most popular EA survey post of 2017.
Situational Awareness: RC projects are taking a distinctly empirical approach to movement building. Rethink Priorities just launched, LEAN recently concluded a detailed analysis on EA local groups, and plans are in motion to provide even more data and analysis to the 2018 EA survey than years prior.
Rethink Priorities (New!)
– We’ve unveiled Rethink Priorities (RP), a new project dedicated to doing neglected foundational research, focusing initially on lessons that can be taken from analyzing vaccinations as an intervention in the developing world and animal welfare corporate campaigns.
Go deeper: Here’s the announcement detailing the research principles and agenda.
The Local Effective Altruism Network (LEAN)
– LEAN just released the most comprehensive empirical investigation into EA local groups to date – currently the best available snapshot of EA movement building at the ground level.
– Over 20 users have created EA websites using the static site generator we launched in early 2018.
– The EA Hub redesign is under way, which will also include a new content tool that consolidates existing resources from the community.
Students for High-Impact Charity (SHIC)
– SHIC secured full Tier 2 funding for 2018 (thank you!).
– The workshop experiment has already reached 285 students across eight schools in the Greater Vancouver Area.
– Our subjective sense is that student engagement has been high during the workshops, with one or two students in each class very eager to learn more and who indicate that they are interested in pursuing a career with positive impact. Teachers have also been bullish about the program.
The fun stuff: See the latest promotional clip with class footage.
– RC Forward will be adding charities that widen the breadth of cause areas supported by the platform, including Innovations for Poverty Action, StrongMinds, The Coalition for Rainforest Nations, and the Clean Air Task Force.
– The EA Survey 2018 is making preparations and assembling a volunteer team. Volunteers and referrals can be directed to email@example.com.
– RP is expected to publish further analysis of vaccines and animal welfare in March.
– LEAN will soon publish the methodology portion of the LEAN Impact Assessment and begin revamping the EA Hub. Get the full overview of what LEAN plans to change.
– SHIC is implementing new post-program survey data collection methods to boost response rates.
– RC Forward is holding off on hiring pending strategic revisions to the project. More on this soon.
Thanks again for taking the time. Your involvement is crucial to us.